FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE J2M PROGRAM PLEASE CONTACT CANTOR BOGOMOLNI
Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program
"We nurture and inspire our students to reach their highest potential and find their own Jewish voices with joy and pride"
CANTOR GASTÓN BOGOLMOLNI
J2M, or “Journey to Mitzvot” is a special program that is unique to Beth Torah.
Designed to enhance and expand the Bar or Bat Mitzvah experience and the private individual tutoring lessons. J2M is a chance for the entire family to participate together in learning about the process of becoming a Bar or Bat Mitzvah in the deepest sense of the word. There are parent-only activities, child only activities, and of course, there are activities for the entire family to participate in.
Since its inception, the J2M program has generated tremendous excitement and the families that have participated have all come away with meaningful experiences that have enhanced the Bar and Bat Mitzvah experience.
J2M gives a unique social opportunity that help unite kids coming from different schools, backgrounds and cities. Our hope every year is to unite the Bar/Bat Mitzvah class through hands on social action programming and identity searching activities. The Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony is an aspect of the program, however it is not the end goal.
It runs around the school year from August-May regardless on when the Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony falls. J2M meets every Tuesday from 5-6pm and many times work hand in hand with the Kadima, our Middle School youth program. Occasionally, J2M family activities may run on a Sunday or on Shabbat
“It’s a place and an environment where i feel safe to learn about my judaism and jewish past in j2m and in kadima i get to meet new people and do fun things with friends”
BRANDON IMAR, J2M PARTICIPANT 2017-2018
- Shabbaton (weekend retreat)
- Social Action Interaction
- Passion to Action
- Judaism & Environment
- Nutrition & Self Image in Judaism
- Partership with JCS programs: Milk & Honey, Matzah Mitzvah, Cafe Europa.
- Hachnasat Orchim
- Thanksgiving event- recipe project.
- Family Shabbat & Havdalah
- Who am I? Shemot – Family Tree
- Hanukkah Menorah contest presentation
- Self Defense – IDF & Hanukkah
- Shabbat workshop
- Tallit / Tefillin workshop & World Wide Wrap
- Shoa Survivor “Memories in the living room”
- Ethical Kashrut
- Meeting the Mashgiach (tour to Kosher Kingdom)
- Visit to the Kosher Food Bank
- Purim Volunteer Opportunities
- Learning with our Rabbis & Cantor in an intimate setting that encourages questions and participation.
- Hiddur P’nai Zaken – Nursing Home visit and interviews
- Ronald McDonald visit to provide food
- Pesach – Cleaning our own inner home
- Modern Day Slavery Chocolate Seder
- Yom Hashoa Takes
- Identity. Create your own movement.
- Yom Hazikaron/ Yom Haatzmaut
- Lag Baomer Bonfire *Canoing
- V’ahavta lere’acha Kamocha
- Second chances (Pesach Sheni)
- Yom Yerushalayim
- Tikkun Shavuot-Diploma